BlueLena is the industry leading technology-enabled marketing solutions provider for newsmedia. Our audience marketing platform and strategic managed services deliver sustainable revenue for community journalism by providing the technology, proven best practices and marketing expertise to develop loyal audiences and grow reader support. We provide publishers with hands-on help, aiding resource-strapped teams to execute with the efficiency of a global media organization.
We are seeking a Solutions and Strategy Consultant to join our fast-paced, mission-driven team.
- Diverse and inclusive
- The strategic partner for a diverse coalition of community-based media organizations
BlueLena drives rapid audience growth and monetization by working with publishers and editors to align their business models, content strategies and audiences’ needs. We believe high-quality, relevant and credible community-based journalism is vital to a democratic society and we are committed to building a long-term sustainable future for local media.
The Solutions and Strategy Consultant is responsible for managing key account relationships, guiding publishers through the strategic development process and identifying BlueLena solutions that drive sustainability. Success in this role is defined by customer satisfaction as measured by client retention. This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic, impactful organization with substantial professional growth potential.
Salary Range: $65,000–75,000 plus bonus (10% of base salary)
- Become an expert on our product offerings, including tools for email acquisition, content access controls, data integration, and marketing automation processes, as well as our growing library of creative assets and partner services. This will include the ability to understand and articulate the technical capabilities of the BlueLena marketing platform and our solution offerings so you can advise and empower clients on all the tools and resources available through our managed services.
- Build and grow relationships: you will be a first responder for BlueLena’s client base. That means advocating on their behalf within BlueLena, advising publishers on tactics and strategies to accomplish their goals, and providing feedback to the VP of Audience Strategy that could shape our product offering to better serve our clients.
- Primary daily point of contact: a main role of the Solutions and Strategy Consultant is to communicate daily and directly with our clients, become a resident expert on all aspects of our platforms, best practice approaches, and the broader trends across the media industry — helping to bridge the gap between product and customers.
- For new customers, the Solutions and Strategy Team will be the first post-sale contact they will engage. You will work with a new customer from the project initiation stage onwards, so a “can-do,” “happy to help,” “go the extra mile” attitude is required at this critical stage. You will be called upon to answer questions ranging from simple-to-complex, tactical-to-strategic, while involving other team members as required to support the resolution on behalf of the client.
Typical Daily Tasks:
- Respond to client needs via email or zoom, owning that interaction from inception to resolution
- Guide clients through projects by ensuring tasks are completed by all stakeholders in a timely manner, and communicating with BlueLena technology partners for resolution of technical issues
- Advise clients on best practices with our marketing stack and relevant use cases
- Assist clients with urgent needs and usher them toward solutions and favorable outcomes
- Act as first line of defense for triaging issues impacting client satisfaction and platform performance
- Exceed client expectations on quality, timeliness of response and overall customer experience
- Continuously train to become an expert on BlueLena’s marketing stack, digital marketing concepts, and media industry trends.
Must be able to multi-task and keep on top of multiple priorities and clients simultaneously. Organizational and strong interpersonal communication skills required; ability to think analytically and problem solve.
The ideal candidate is a creative, empathetic problem-solver with a good sense of a reader’s news reading experience, and the challenging environment of independent news publishing. Our clients’ jobs are difficult, and our primary goal is making financial sustainability a reality without overly burdening them. The ideal candidate is a good listener who understands the audience journey, and can review publisher metrics to identify opportunities and vulnerabilities therein. The ideal candidate will think beyond the solutions available today, identifying emerging needs within the client base and proposing solutions that we can build and scale across our network.
Experience in a news organization, working in audience development, engagement, community management, analytics or reader revenue will be highly regarded. Knowledge of email marketing, social media, editorial/content strategy, news audience development and/or user experience is a plus.
Not you but think you have something to offer? Job descriptions are tough to write and rarely comprehensive. The above is only one way we’ve envisioned this role. We welcome people of all backgrounds and experiences to apply; come with a passion for supporting the independent news ecosystem and an ability to learn and tell us how you think you can make an impact with BlueLena.
To apply, please send a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining how you would make an impact at BlueLena. Include a resume or LinkedIn link. Subject line “
BlueLena was founded in 2020 by an experienced team of journalists and newsmedia marketing executives to create a sustainable future for independent local media. We do so by deploying world class technology and delivering the expertise and professional services to build and support subscription, membership and donation models for long-term success. Today we support over 150 newsrooms across the United States and Canada.
The BlueLena publishing membership represents a diverse mix of non-profit and for-profit newsrooms, including pure digital and hybrid print + digital publications, as well as established and new media brands. Our clients represent membership with the Association of Alternative Newsmedia (AAN), LION Publishers, the Institute for Nonprofit News (INN), the National Association of Hispanic Press (NAHP), the Black Press Association (NNPA), and the Local Media Association (LMA).
We facilitate the sharing of best practices through a weekly newsletter, community Slack channel, and monthly Zoom meetings where we spotlight success stories from across the BlueLena publisher consortium.
BlueLena is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
To apply, please send a short email to email@example.com outlining how you would make an impact at BlueLena. Include a resume or LinkedIn link.